Friday, August 05, 2005

New Butterflies

We have a new butterfly field guide. It's Butterflies of North America by Jim P. Brock & Kenn Kaufman and is part of the Kaufman Focus Guides. With it I was able to identify two butterflies that we had not identified before. The first I found in the early morning.



This is the Common Ringlet (Coenonympha tullia). There were many of them flitting about the grass along the trails this morning but none would hold still for very long. It was a real struggle to get even this rather fuzzy photo.

On the other hand, the butterfly of the afternoon was one of one and it stayed fairly close to an Alfalfa plant. It was not until we brought the photos inside and made them larger on the computer that we were able to identify the butterfly as an Eastern Tailed-blue (Everes comyntas).



The "tails" are very small and we did not notice them when we were looking at the butterfly. Perhaps tomorrow, now that we know what to look for, we will see them.

3 comments:

Lené Gary said...

I've seen the butterfly in your 3rd picture in Vermont, I believe. I don't know much about them, but I'll be looking closer now that I've got a name.

robin andrea said...

Those are beauties. That's an amazing hint of blue on those partially opened wings. Lovely. I'm going to have to look for that book, although I haven't noticed too many species of butterfly up here to try to identify. Maybe I'm not looking in the right places.

Ontario Wanderer said...

L, Yes, having a name sometimes does open one's eyes. Happy looking!

RD, There are "Western Tailed-blues in your area and lots of other neat butterflies too according to the book. We have the advantage of over 30 acres of meadow that has not seen pesticides for 20 years or so.