Monday, February 27, 2006

Growth

I should not be amazed at where living things grow given the fact that researchers are finding that plants and animals seem to grow in more impossible places everyday. The life in deep ocean volcanic vents come to mind where it is both too hot and too dark for life as we know it to survive and yet there is life there. Anyway, my find yesterday was on an old metal tank that was abandoned in a ravine behind our house.



You can see both a moss of some sort and the beginnings of a lichen in this macro photo of the top of the tank.



And a closer look is here. The rust is a beautiful colour too in my opinion.

1 comment:

clairesgarden said...

I had it explained to me recently that lichen, then moss are the 'beginnings' of growth, then they make a base for other things to grow on, so if you come back to your tank in 50 yrs you will find a whole eco-system there!!