Monday, March 25, 2019

Observation Notes from Sunday March 24



           From 9:26 to 9:36 I was at my west brush pile sit spot in the southwestern corner of the property. During those 10 minutes I heard Robins, Cardinals, Red-winged Blackbirds, Crows and dogs barking in the distance. In addition I heard the usual traffic noise from the nearby roads as well as jet traffic noises from the sky. As an aside, I cannot remember ever being outside during any day for any 10 minute period of time without hearing jet noises. It really is disturbing.

            As the dog and I walked about the property in the morning and again in the evening I also heard the calls of Bluejays, Goldfinches, Juncos, Red-bellied Woodpeckers, Robins, White-breasted Nuthatches, Mourning Doves, Wild Turkeys, Canada Geese flying overhead and Mallard Ducks flying overhead. There was also a very silent Turkey Vulture that glided over our heads. I saw a rabbit and red, grey, and black squirrels all near our bird feeder.

            The Willow catkins and the Aspen catkins have been opening for a few days and the European Larch needle buds are showing signs of opening also.

            Both the east and west ponds remain frozen in the mornings but the west pond is beginning to show open water in the late afternoons near its edges.

            Below is a photo of the east pond which is both quite shallow and very frozen yet.





1 comment:

Jenn Jilks said...

I was going to say, 'I hear you!' but that would be a cheap pun.
We're beside the highway, and sometimes I get 20 seconds of silence. Deep down in the wetland it is wonderful, but I can still hear the hum of traffic.