Friday, March 15, 2019

Friday, March 15 - Skunk Cabbage Blooming!




            I am sure I have posted photos of this plant many times and many places and I am also sure I have at least 500 photos of this plant. Need I say that it is a favourite?

            The Skunk Cabbage is the first native flower of spring and always grows in very wet areas. This one, like many I have photographed, is in the RBG's Hendrie Valley. I always start looking for "blooms" in February. I know that it is blooming when I can put my finger inside the spathe and get yellow pollen.


            Just for the record, today was the first day since the first ice storm in February that I was able to walk in our meadow without worrying about slipping on the ice. The trails with trees on the south or on north facing slopes are still icy but out in the meadow I can walk easily. Yea!

No comments: