Thursday, March 27, 2008

Skunk Cabbage Heat


Skunk Cabbage Heat, originally uploaded by Ontario Wanderer.

"Biologist Roger Knutson found that skunk cabbage flowers produce warmth over a period of 12-14 days, remaining on average 20° C (36° F) above the outside air temperature, whether during the day or night." Quote from the following site:
www.natureinstitute.org/pub/ic/ic4/skunkcabbage.htm

As you can see in the photo, the various Skunk Cabbage "flowers" are melting their way through the snow rignt now.

If you have the time and interest, the web site listed above has the best research infromation that I have ever found anyplace on Skunk Cabbage. As you may also figure out, I have enjoyed looking for Skunk Cabbages every spring since I first found them in the Hamilton area. It's been about 40 years now that I have looked for them. I have been recording blooming times for the last ten years or so.

No comments: