Saturday, June 25, 2005

Butterfly

As I was out wandering, earlier this week, I found this butterfly that actually stayed still long enough for me to get my camera out and set up. I have never had much luck with butterflies as they, like birds, just don't stay still long enough for me to get a good look.



Can anyone help me with identifying this species? If not, perhaps it is enough to just enjoy.

....Thanks to Rexroth's Daughter's comment, I now have an ID for the butterfly. Unless anyone complains, i.e. has a different opinion, this butterfly shall be called Silvery Checkerspot (Chlosyne nycteis). The butterfly is listed for our area, was found by an open area, and was close to the adult food plants listed in the guide to which Rexroth's Daugher sent me. (I never would have identified it with my old Peterson Guide black and white photo.)

4 comments:

elizabeth said...

can't help you identify but i enjoyed looking at your butterfly!

robin andrea said...

I can't help, but here's a link to a pretty good database of North American butterflies.
http://www.npwrc.usgs.gov/resource/distr/lepid/bflyusa/bflyusa.htm
Good luck!

Crowe said...

Is it this - Northern Pearl Crescent? http://home.cogeco.ca/~lunker/npealcres.htm

Rurality said...

Dean I think RD is right. I changed mine LOL. The big difference to me, after checking them both out, is the size. The Pearl Crescents are very small.

I can't tell how large yours is from this picture, but I'm suspecting that it's the same as the one I saw.