Saturday, October 06, 2018

Friday Flowers




On my October 5th wild flower walks in the Hamilton area, I walked in the Royal Botanical Garden's Arboretum "wild" trails and along the Hamilton Waterfront Trail near Princess Point. During the walk I found 71 wild flowers in bloom and was able to identify 70 or them. The one that I could not identify was growing in the middle of a patch of Poison Ivy. It looked like a polygonum of some sort but it did not match any of the plants in my book.

Following are some of the plants that I photographed:

Calico Aster
Aster Latériflore
(Symphyotrichum lateriflorum)




 New England Aster with close up lens
Aster de Nouvelle-Angleterre
(Symphyotrichum novae-angliae)


 Wild Chicory
Chicorée Sauvage
(Cichorium intybus)


Indian Tobacco
Lobélie Gonflée
(Lobelia inflata)


Jimsonweed
Stramoine Commune
(Datura stramonium)



Jerusalem Artichoke
Topinambur
(Helianthus tuberosus)




The Jerusalem Artichoke leaves and stems are known for their extreme roughness as one can see in the photo.




No comments: