Sunday, November 03, 2013

Road2Hope Half Marathon

        It was very cool running today with temperatures just below and then just above freezing with a 15 to 19 km north wind. If i could run a race like I say I plan to, i.e. run for fun and to finish, I would have more enjoyment out of the races; however, I tend to get caught up in "racing." Today it was when I passed the 2:30 race bunny at the 10 k mark that I started wondering if I could get my half marathon time to below 2:30 again. So, I tried in spite of a knot in my left calf that had started at the 4 k mark. By the last two k's I was in a lot of pain with my left hamstring and left ankle competing for pain supremacy. I ran through it with a couple of extra short walks, and made it over the line at 2:24:49 which was a bit faster than the last two years when it was over 2:30. I was a bit disappointed when I saw that I was 16 out of 19 in my age group and then, when I got home and looked more closely, I found that they made an error in my age. If they did not make any other age errors, I was 2nd out of 3 in the 70-74 men's group. I wrote to complain and am hoping for the 2nd place metal.


On the way down the escarpment towards Lake Ontario on the Red Hill Parkway.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope they give you that much-deserved medal. I'm always impressed by your running stamina.

Pablo said...

Excellent work! Your pace is now my goal for the half I'm running in April.

I am personally responsible for screwing up someone's age group entry for a run (and him missing a medal), so I say . . . GIVE 'EM HELL!

Ontario Wanderer said...

Thanks Robin, Thanks Pablo,
I think the medal is coming and they have already changed the records so it's official, I got second in my age group!

Good luck Pablo on your April run! Where is it?

Pablo said...

My April run is Rock the Parkway. It's a half that goes up and down Ward Parkway, which is the hoity-toity part of town. It's gently uphill for the first half and then gently downhill for the second. Piece of cake, right?