Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Boats and Flowers

Here is an attempt to keep Ontario observations and Malta memories both on the go. I don't know how long this will last.

Starting with boats, below are two photos of boats on the Grand Harbour of Valetta.



These boats were tied to the dock just below our hotel room for several days.



This was a large ferry that came into port several times during our stay in Valetta. Large transport trucks that drove onto and off this boat looked almost like toys in comparison to the boat itself. This photo was taken just as the sun came up in the morning while I was out for an early morning walk. The sunlight on the boat gave it a very interesting light.

And now for something completely different....



This flower is the pistillate (i.e. female) flower of a Beaked Hazel (Corylus cornuta). It is very small and not often observed due to its small size. I held it between two fingers to steady it and to give my camera something to focus upon.

4 comments:

Endment said...

Your photos are all glowing!
Hope you are having a wonderful, relaxing and rewarding time.

robin andrea said...

The light in these photographs is just fantastic. Really wonderful. I love the tiny flower between your fingers. That's a great shot.

threecollie said...

Neat pictures! Such wonderful light and color1

Ontario Wanderer said...

E, Thank you! Our trip is over and I am now playing with jet lag. I hope that that part of the trip will soon be over.

RD, It's hard to photograph such small flowers without something else around but somehow others are doing it. Have a look at the same kind of flower on the wild flower page that my friend Ron took.

3C, I enjoyed all the yellows, oranges, reds and blues of Malta. We were lucky enough to be there when there was a lot of green too. I understand that all the green disappears during the summers.