Saturday, September 03, 2005

Turkeys and Chickens

Today on the after lunch dog walk I had the good fortune to flush up over a dozen wild turkeys. That was the good news. The bad news is that my dog was with me on the dog walk. She is a Shepherd mix (German Shepherd, Australian Shepherd, etc.) and about 70 pounds of excitement on the end of a lead. No way could I take a photo with one hand and hang on to the dog with the other. Sigh! Because we want to encourage wild turkeys, deer, fox, American woodcocks, etc. on our property, our dog spends most of her time on a lead or on a chain in the barnyard. It's good for the wild animals but sure makes the dog keen for her walks. Anyway, I did not get any turkey photos even though the dog and I were within 2 metres (about 6 feet) of one turkey.

Not having turkey photos to share, here is another fungus. This one is called "Chicken-of-the-Woods," (Laetiporus sulphureus). Yes, it is that bright!



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

CBS News tries to look over its own shoulder with blog
The network is starting its own blog, Public Eye, that will wade into controversies over how CBS covers the news.
I'm glad I came to your site. You really know how to write a post. What do you think of this site on Life Insurance Quote?

Anonymous said...

Dogs are such great companions and alerters and guardians but its true- we are constantly competing with them to get to the wildlife first!
Are the 'chickens' pictured the same as the fungus we call "turkey tail"?