Sunday, January 19, 2020

End of Ducks . . .



            All seemed normal in the barn yesterday morning at feeding time but it seemed too quiet when I arrived in the evening. When I got to the duck's pen I found out why. Our two ducks were lying dead by their water dish. Almost no evidence of why or how at first, but when I moved them, one had its head completely gone, beak and all, and the other had its neck badly mangled. There were only a few down feathers on the ground and no real sign of a struggle. Given the tracks that I found in the snow outside the barn this morning, I suspect a weasel. There was no evidence of any animal going over the gate in the barn and only a tiny bit of food from the morning feeding was gone so it must have happened soon after I left the barn in the morning.





Photo from 2017


No comments: