Thursday, October 23, 2014

Ham and Swiss Pie (Kind of)


Recipe from The Country Cape B&B in Whately, MA 

Ham &  Swiss Pie

2 cups cut up ham
1/4 cup chopped onion     
2 cups milk
salt & pepper to taste
1 cup shredded swiss cheese
4 eggs
1 cup Bisquick 

Mix eggs, milk, Bisquick, salt & pepper
Pour over meat, cheese & onion
Put in greased 10” pie plate
Bake @ 350° for 35-40 min
(Done when knife inserted in centre comes out clean.)

        On our one B&B  of the trip that really served breakfast, we had a Ham & Swiss Pie that was so good that I asked for, and received, the recipe. Having been home for a few days I tried it out, in my usual fashion of using recipes as a guide only.  In this case I used pepperoni that was left over from making pizza the day before instead of the ham. I used an entire onion. The milk that I used was 1% instead of whole milk. I omitted the salt and pepper as we add our own at the table.Since I did not have any Swiss cheese on hand I used 1/2 cup of goat cheese and 1/2 cup of old cheddar cheese. Hey, I did use 4 eggs that were fresh from our hens so I did not change all of the recipe.  I try to not use mixes, i.e. Bisquick, so I looked at the ingredients of Bisquick and saw that it was basically flour, salt, shorting, and baking powder so I used 1/3 cup of tapioca flour, 1/3 cup almond flour, & 1/3 cup barley flour to cut down the amount of gluten in the mix and added about a half teaspoon of baking powder and half teaspoon of baking soda.

        I baked the mix in our oven at 350° for 37 minutes and it turned out great. I look forward to trying it again sometime soon!

        (I forgot to take the photo before any cutting. It actually got cut into 8 pieces but 6 of them disappeared at breakfast.)


http://www.countrycapebb.com

No comments: