Thursday, May 28, 2009

Little Red


Little Red
Originally uploaded by Ontario Wanderer

I've never been much of a party person. I've probably only been to 4 or 5 in the last 64 years and before that I don't remember. That being said, it was not surprising that at one of the parties I made arrangements with my partner to meet her at the time she thought she would be ready to go home from the party and I took a walk into the nearby countryside. I ended up in a small tree overlooking a brook with a poetry book for a couple of hours. Just as I was climbing down I spotted the red. It was a brownish red with spots that did not move. I looked closer and saw a very young fawn. It had been at the base of the tree the entire time I was up there reading. I moved as slowly as I could a bit closer, reached out even more slowly and petted the small youngster and then backed slowly away.(The memory comes back this afternoon as we saw a very young fawn settling down just outside our library window. This is that fawn.)

1 comment:

Sam said...

That's an awesome story. I've never got close enough to one to pet! :)